Sunday, December 21, 2008

Plea of the Embryo

I speak for he who cannot speak for himself:

Though you cannot see me, I am still here.
Though I am not yet big and strong like you are, I am still alive.
I have my whole life before me, endless possibility…

I want to breath fresh air on a spring day.
I want to soak in a summer sun.
I want to feel the gentle fall of snowflakes, tickling my face,
Or go for a cool fall run.

I want to jump into a pile of fresh fallen leaves,
Go to the beach, feel sand between my toes.
I want to taste sweet ice cream, feel a warm friendly hug,
Smell the sweet lovely scent of a rose.

I want to laugh and play and make lots of friends,
Or maybe just a good few.
I want to be able to make someone smile,
To be able to say “I love you.”

I hear that the world is a big scary place,
And right now you don’t know what to do.
But there’s good to be done and be felt in this world,
And I want to be in it too.

So I ask, please, bear with me, these few months,
While I grow and try to be strong,
And I’ll thank you for the gift that you’ve made of yourself,
To help me make it along.

No comments: